By LUKE SALKELD
Last refreshed at 20:06 14 Eminent 2006
It most likely thought it was climbing a tree.
Or possibly it was just nuts.
Either way, at the point when a squirrel got to the top of an power post what’s more, begun biting on a cable, it was in for a frightful shock.
For the curious creature overseen to bite its way right through the protection what’s more, into the wiring, causing a short circuit that cleared out 10,000 homes without electricity. What’s more, the demise of one squirrel.
Animal specialists said the rat was most likely chewing the link in the Matford zone of Exeter, Devon, as it would the branch of a tree.
A representative for the Devon Natural life Trust explained: “Squirrels are normally inquisitive, what’s more, like to bite at bark.
“And on the off chance that it takes after a tree, a squirrel will treat it like a tree.
“It would have been the stun of the animal’s life.”
Dr Sasha Dall, from Exeter University’s Focus for Biology what’s more, Conservation, added: “Squirrels require to bite on things to find out what is great what’s more, awful to bite on.
“Unfortunately it is hard to learn not to bite on electric cables, since you don’t get a second chance.”
It is assessed the squirrel was shocked by 11,000 volts of power at the point when it bit the link on Sunday afternoon.
Its ‘unrecognisable’ body was found close the base of the 39ft post by engineers.
A representative for power organization Western Control Circulation clarified the short circuit would have happened on the off chance that the squirrel touched two electrical conductors simultaneously.
It may have made an electrical circuit between the link what’s more, metal brackets, sending 11,000 volts through its body what’s more, slaughtering it instantly.
A representative for power organization Western Control Circulation said squirrels frequently coincidentally climb wooden arches – mixing up them for trees.
She said: “It shows up a squirrel mixed up a wooden arch for a tree what’s more, ran to the top.
“Squirrels do attempt to run up posts what’s more, on the off chance that they are huge enough they can touch two conductors at the same time.
“Sadly this little squirrel made a short circuit with its body, blowing the power, what’s more, slaughtering itself in the process.
“When the laborers got there they found the squirrel – be that as it may it was lovely unrecognisable.
“It had been subjected to a part of volts.”
Some householders in the city were without power for over five hours after the incident.
Mother-of-two Paula Miles, 33, from Exeter, said: “The control cut implied movement lights weren’t working in a few parts of town – it was chaos.
“I was stunned at the point when I heard it had all been caused by a squirrel.”
An RSPCA representative added: “It is stunning that such a little animal could have had such a enormous effect, yet it is consummately common for squirrels to climb things. It most likely thought the link was a branch.”
Grey have move toward becoming disagreeable creatures in the UK what’s more, are faulted for essentially wiping out local reds, as well as crushing the English warbler populace by murdering grown-up feathered creatures what’s more, attacking their nests.
Grey squirrels were brought to England from the Joined together States in the late 1800s.
They convey a sickness which executes their red cousins, what’s more, contend with them for food.
Earlier this month a mother was assaulted by a squirrel as she strolled through a stop with two children.
The rat jumped on to Martine Browne’s son’s head, what’s more, at the point when she attempted to shoo it away, it sank its teeth into her hands what’s more, arm, causing four profound wounds what’s more, clearing out her secured in blood.
The 25-year-old housewife, who was treated at healing center for her injuries, said at the time: ‘I can’t accept a squirrel would do that. There was blood everywhere, all down my arms what’s more, over my clothes.”